Friday, January 31, 2020

He's Ready

Matthew at age 15
Greg’s Colleague: “Do you want to get dinner soon with our wives?”

Greg:  “Sure, let me give Amy the date so she can hire a sitter.” 

Colleague:  “A babysitter?  How old are your kids?” 

Ouch. Deep Breath. Sometimes we forget that most kids Matthew’s current age, 15, ARE the babysitter. 

Matthew’s version of 15 is significantly different from most kids. He enjoys watching the preschool TV show, Peppa Pig. He wants a note from me in his school lunch box every day. We still cut his food for him and remind him to use his fork, not his fingers, to eat it. Only one inch shorter than me, he often asks to sit on my lap. Most teenaged boys call their mom “Mom” while I am still “Mommy”. 
Sitting on Daddy's lap last week
Children's Message
At church on Sunday mornings, when the young kids are invited forward to sit together for the children’s message, Matthew proudly sits on the ground among the preschool and elementary aged kids, unaware or unconcerned with the drastic age (and size) difference.


About five years ago, I wished that we could add an accommodation to Matthew’s IEP (Individualized Education Plan) that would allow him to stay in elementary school forever. These were safe and predictable years in a comfortable school environment. With this farfetched plan, he’d be in 5thgrade forever. He’d never have to go through puberty or become an adult with autism. Perfect plan according to me back then!

Reflecting on this, I realize that I’d become skilled at parenting a child with autism. But parenting a teen and eventually an adult with autism was not part of my skill set.

But here he is, a freshman in high school. A real teen with autism on his way to adulthood.

When Matthew was in special education preschool, I sat on a mini-chair across from Miss Debbie, his brilliant special education teacher at a parent conference. “What will he be able to do when he gets to elementary school?  Will he be able to talk? Make friends? Write his name?” Somehow, I thought she had a crystal ball with the answers to my questions about his future.
Matthew and Miss Debbie in 2009
Miss Debbie looked at me with so much hope in her eyes and told me confidently that he was well prepared for all of these challenges and more. “He’s ready, Amy.” He was completely ready to experience all that elementary school had to offer. (At that point of course, I wanted him to stay in preschool forever.)

As 15 will become 25 in a flash, I realize what’s different now. I AM. I’m not that scared mom I once was, wondering if he will ever walk or talk or make friends. I’m not that fearful mom unwilling to move forward. Matthew showed me the way - he made friends, wrote his name and began to talk in his own time. On his own schedule.  

Matthew will become an adult with autism and I will acquire the skills needed for this new job. Will it be easy? No - there will be rough patches and smooth stretches. I wish I could ask those crystal ball questions again - Will he be able to work? Will he ever be able to live on his own? Will he have meaningful friendships and be happy? Miss Debbie's words from many years ago echo in my head. He’s ready. Ready for all that high school and adult life have to offer him. He will show me the way like he always has!


Vacation Time With Some Old Favorites!























3 comments:

  1. He is and you are, and always will be, my heros. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and so is Matthew. You are BOTH ready. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so blessed tio have found your blog!!! We are raising my niece Lacey "Lulu" she's missing chromosome 7q36 with a duplicate 8p. She's been consistently 2 year's behind for a while now and very much like an autistic child. We started public pre-k 3 wks ago, riding the bus and all!!!
    I'm having such a difficult time not knowing exactly what's going on in her day every minute and she only goes 1/2 day Lol!!! I wish more than anything she could tell me about her day. Back to exploring your wonderful story😊 Thank you!!!! Tiffany MacBeth (also Garden City graduate)

    ReplyDelete